Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:37:20 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: robert@ocallahan.org, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Melinda Grant <Melinda.Grant@gmx.com>
fantasai wrote:

> What about locking things the other way, 1px == 3/4pt? That seems
> less drastic, because at least you're keeping the 1pt = 1/72in.

It is carved in the stone already:

"1px thus corresponds to about 0.26 mm (1/96 inch)."

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#length-units

So this horse already left the office as Mr. O'Callahan mentioned.

Having said that...
There are no physical length units in CSS but in some cases it is highly
desirable to have device dot units, something like 1ddx and 1ddy.
I have cases when HTML is printed on e.g. point-of-sale printing devices
with low and anisotropic DPIs. ddx/ddy is a must there.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com