Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:11:33 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 1/5/10 7:37 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> I would much rather have the pattern matched
> against a copy of the element's text that had already had the white
> space collapsed

You can't have it both ways.  Either these boxes allow arbitrary styling
(and you have to match on the DOM) or you match after whitespace
collapsing, which means after style computation and box construction
(both of which affect whitespace collapsing) and then your styling must
not create any new boxes, or must severely limit how the boxes can be
styled.

> (so if the element had 'white-space: normal', all source
> code white space would be collapsed to single spaces, and <br> elements
> would be read as "\n").

And then you put "white-space: pre" on the ::text and things stop making
sense, no?

-Boris