Re: [css3-fonts] opentype font feature support

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:55:22 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Jonathan Kew wrote:
> I just noticed what I think is an omission in section 6.3

Fixed and pushed.

Thomas Phinney wrote:
> Also, in the same section, are each of these mutually exclusive?

Where individual values are not mutually exclusive because of the
syntax (e.g. font-variant-caps), mutually exclusive values are
explicitly listed.  In the case of 'font-variant-alternates',
'contextual' and 'no-contextual' are mutually exlcusive.

Authors can in some cases can produce slightly nonsensical style rules
but these are resolved in a consistent fashion, latter values take
precedence:

  font-variant-numeric: proportional-nums oldstyle-nums tabular-nums;

This is valid syntax.  Because 'proportional-nums' and 'tabular-nums'
are mutually exclusive, this is equivalent to:

  font-variant-numeric: oldstyle-nums tabular-nums;

The section titled "Rendering considerations" lists rules for
resolving combinations of settings.

John