From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Fedoniouk
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 9:34 AM
To: Yuzo Fujishima; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-page] Proposal: Making variable page area widths in a document optional

From: "Yuzo Fujishima" <yuzo@google.com>
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:55 AM
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: [css3-page] Proposal: Making variable page area widths in a
document  	optional

> Hi,
>
> By using :left, :right, or :first pseudo-classes, it is currently possible
> to make
> left, right, or first pages have different page area widths.
>
> In the following example, right pages are 10cm narrower than left pages:
> @page :left {margin-left: 3cm;margin-right: 4cm;}
> @page :right {margin-left: 9cm;margin-right: 8cm;}

I do not think that it is even technically feasible to have a container with
variable width in CSS.
At least there is no definition of blocks having "jagged" sides as e.g. tall

I believe that we should declare "behavior undefined" for variable page area
boxes on different pages.
Or at least "vendor specific" if some printer smart enough will be able to
come up with the idea of how to render jagged tables with correct pagination
in the future.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com