Re: collapsible property

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:00:47 -0600
To: Daniel Danilatos <danilatos@google.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, news@terrainformatica.com, Julie Parent <jparent@chromium.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
(A bit late since SMTP is blocked at school.)

On 2/10/2010 11:43 PM, Daniel Danilatos wrote:
> Inferring orthogonal behaviour from line height or similar properties
> seems kinda hacky and potentially leading to all kinds of corner cases.
> I think it's clearer and simpler to have a property that defines exactly
> the desired behaviour (keep the block element open) and leave things
> like line height and min height to their independent meanings, without
> having to complicate them with extended interpretations

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

You seem to want an element--when it (A) is empty or (B) all of its
child elements are empty or (C) all it contains is whitespace--to remain
one line tall rather than "collapse" to a height of zero when it has no
content. If this is actually what you want, then all you're trying to do
is control the presentation of the element's height; I don't see how
this is "orthogo