Re: [cssom] Defining getComputedStyle

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:00:43 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
> I don't. All I have is that browsers do not really agree. I could be
> convinced to make these "exceptions" too. I do not really feel strongly,
> though less exceptions seemed better.

Less exceptions is definitely better, as long as it doesn't break
existing content.  That "as long" is the issue.

>> It's not a shorthand in CSS 2.1.
>
> Well, CSS doesn't have versions and most browsers have implemented
> overflow-x and overflow-y.

This is going to be a general problem as various properties that are not
shorthands become shorthands (things like white-space for example).  Do
we just want to take it on a case-by-case basis, or try to figure out
how to handle it?

For what it's worth, the Gecko behavior for "overflow" is to return a
value if the x and y values are equal and to treat it as a shorthand
otherwise.

-Boris