Re: Scientific notation in numbers

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:09:49 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com> wrote:
> One implementor's comments on the scientific notation issue (please
> keep in mind that dbaron may disagree with me):

Additional observation: in both SVG 1.1 and SVG Tiny 1.2,
scientific-notation numbers are defined as matching this regular
expression

(they don't use those words but that's what it comes out to).

Note how a sign is not allowed after the E.  Mozilla's implementation
does allow a sign.

This is IMO an error in SVG -- scientific notation is not much use if
it's only good for really *big* numbers (in particular, for transforms,
what one is likely to want is *small* numbers).

zw