Re: Implementing contentEditable in CSS3 UI

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:36:06 +0000
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: tantekc@microsoft.com, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> The CSS3 User Interface draft attempts to deprecate (or 'support')
>  "fourteen HTML4 tags and four HTML4 attributes"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216

Note that's a very ancient draft.

I think you want:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/

> I'd like to see contentEditable added to the list.
>
> *[contentEditable] {
>  user-modify: read-write;
>  user-input: enabled;
>  user-select: text;
> }

Maybe something to consider for the next CSS UI module?

> It would be nice to see a :spelling style of selector, using the same
> information leakage protection as a:visited.
> I'd like something like this to work, eventually:
> *[spellcheck=false] {
>  color-invalid-spelling: none;
>  background-invalid-spelling: none;
>  text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;
> }
> *[spellcheck=true] {
>  color-invalid-spelling: none;
>  background-invalid-spelling: rgba(128,0,0,.5);
>  text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;
> }

I think a ::invalid-spelling selector (or something similar) would be
better for tweaking colors and decoration, as it would involve adding
one selector not three properties.

Likewise, a single property to enable/disable spellcheck would be
preferable to some properties to tweak colors/decoration since that
could easily leave the display out of sync with behavior (e.g. screen
readers like VoiceOver would still announce spelling errors, if you
clicked on a spelling error Safari would still give you a list of
spelling corrections).

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis