Implementing contentEditable in CSS3 UI

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:51:22 -0800
To: tantekc@microsoft.com
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
The CSS3 User Interface draft attempts to deprecate (or 'support')
"fourteen HTML4 tags and four HTML4 attributes"

I'd like to see contentEditable added to the list.

*[contentEditable] {
   user-modify: read-write;
   user-input: enabled;
   user-select: text;

It would remove some cruft from HTML in the long run.

It would be nice to see a :spelling style of selector, using the same
information leakage protection as a:visited.
I'd like something like this to work, eventually:
*[spellcheck=false] {
  color-invalid-spelling: none;
  background-invalid-spelling: none;
  text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;
*[spellcheck=true] {
  color-invalid-spelling: none;
  background-invalid-spelling: rgba(128,0,0,.5);
  text-decoration-invalid-spelling: none;

There's some old discussion about contentEditable's purpose on whatwg:

And some talk about contentEditable and focus on w3:

Regarding passing actual focus events (triggering a scrollTo, for instance):
the css3-ui :menu pseudo-selector and the aria-flowto attribute set some
"user-focus: select-same" is also a big help.