Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

On 15/12/2010 12:14 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/12/14 14:27 (GMT-0800) David Singer composed:
>
>> On Dec 14, 2010, at 22:16 (GMT), Linss, Peter wrote:
[snip]
>>> Yes, I could
>>> calibrate it, and often did, but then all sorts of app UIs broke...
>
> Shortsighted and/or ignorant OS, DTE and application developers are
> responsible for that, not PC hardware of the past decade or more.

So this has nothing to do with the rapid development of display devices
[1]? Before 2003 most computer monitors had a 4:3 aspect ratio. Now we
have DVI which a partially compatible with HDMI (minus audio quality). I
would like to introduce you to cybernetics. Part of which I quote:

   "Convenient GUI system dynamics software developed into user
    friendly versions by the 1990s and have been applied to diverse
    systems. SD models solve the problem of simultaneity (mutual
    causation) by updating all variables in small time increments with
    positive and negative feedbacks and time delays structuring the
    interactions and control."

MS and IE has somewhat entered this loop. You call out "shortsighted
and/or ignorant OS, DTE and application developers" but all of these are
enmeshed in a system that is resistant to change. I quote another part.

   "Cybernetics is pre–eminent when the system under scrutiny is
    involved in a closed signal loop, where action by the system in
    an environment causes some change in the environment and that
    change is manifest to the system via information, or feedback,
    that causes the system to adapt to new conditions: the system
    changes its behavior. This "circular causal" relationship is
    necessary and sufficient for a cybernetic perspective."

When money has a perceived value that is worth more than human
potential, then change can not happen.

1. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard>
2. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface>
3. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics>