Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

On 2010/12/14 14:27 (GMT-0800) David Singer composed:

> On Dec 14, 2010, at 22:16 (GMT), Linss, Peter wrote:

>> I have yet to see a typical user system come out of the
>> box since then with accurate on screen measurements.

You've not used many Linux distros over the years.

>>  Yes, I could
>> calibrate it, and often did, but then all sorts of app UIs broke...

Shortsighted and/or ignorant OS, DTE and application developers are
responsible for that, not PC hardware of the past decade or more.

> I have no idea *how* you would know the physical size of a monitor
> connected over say VGA, analog TV, etc.

ISTR this was possible 8-10 years ago on Linux. Did EDID exist that long ago?
Many times I had to lie about display dimensions in DTE configuration, and
often still must, in order to compensate for too small display or too great
viewing distance to use with accurate sizing of common defaults.

Even so, how hard can if be for a user to select a display diagonal dimension
and aspect or width and height from configuration boxes, or find a list to
select them from if DTE configuration isn't unnecessarily obtuse?

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/