Re: [CSS21] accepted/recommended forms of Subject for WD comments

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:18:00 -0800

Le Dim 12 décembre 2010 2:54, Peter Moulder a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:08:01PM +0100, Bert Bos wrote:
>> When you send comments, please send them to this mailing list,
>> <www-style@w3.org>, and include
>>     [CSS21]
>> in the subject.
> I see that both this announcement ("[CS21]") and some of the first
> comments sent ("[CSS 2.1]") use a different tag.
> In order to minimize the chance of any comments being missed by anyone
> scanning this mailing list, can someone please post a regexp or list of
> tags that will actually be searched for, so that humans reading the list
> can decide whether a post will be missed and post a followup (i.e. with
> appropriate In-Reply-To header but with "[CSS21]" in the subject line)
> that notes that the original appears to be intended as a comment on the
> CSS 2.1 working draft?
> Also related to subject lines: I see that some of the first comments
> helpfully include other text in the subject to mark the post as
> specifically a formal comment on the working draft (as distinct from
> messages about test suites, implementations, minutes, messages like this
> one, etc.), and to indicate the relevant section(s).  This seems useful,
> even if only so that other commenters can check whether an issue has
> already been reported.  Do editors or working group members have any
> preference for the form of these "sub-tags" ?  There's value in it being
> fairly short, to make it more likely that the full subject is visible
> in a mailer window, and make it less likely that the subject line is
> wrapped in the raw (rfc822) form of the message (which interferes with
> some simple-minded tools).  In absence of any subsequent suggestions or
> emerging consensus in practice, I suggest
> "[CSS21] WD2010 8.3.1: Short identifying description of issue".
> Thanks,
> pjrm.

I have used

[CSS 2.1] WD 07 Dec. 2010: section x.y.z Subject description

Another idea:
[CSS 2.1] 20101207: section x.y.z Subject description

[CSS 2.1 WD 20101207]: section x.y.z Subject description

I think there should be a blank white space between "CSS" and "2.1" but
there is no consensus on this. Using square brackets should be encouraged.

Searching in/among subject lines in a mailing list like this one is
important. Anything promoting searchability, discoverability helps and
will help everyone.

regards, Gérard
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC4 (December 10th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite