Re: [css3-speech] square brackets group

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:51:34 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

On 10 Dec 2010, at 23:09, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Yes, but if you consider square brackets to represent grouping, then
> the
> examples in the draft do not match the grammar, `voice-family: male 2`
> for instance is not valid because <age> is not optional but omitted in
> the example. However, it would match if you read (some of the) square
> brackets to represent optionality. I do agree that the Working Group
> does not seem to have addressed my comment yet.

The <age> and <number> fields of the "voice-family" CSS 3 Speech
property [1] were added to the fields specified by CSS 2.1 Aural style
sheets [2].

There seems to be a typo in the CSS 3 grammar indeed, as the examples
are correct (they are backward compatible with the CSS 2.1 notation).

I would suggest the following errata (line breaks for clarity, "xxx"
is the exact duplicate of line #2):

----------------
[xxx,]*
[[<specific-voice> | [<age>? <generic-voice>]] <number>?]
| inherit
----------------

...but actually I am questioning the use of the <number> discriminator
based on a <specific-voice>. I can understand the selection logic
based on a <generic-voice>, but I am not sure how the "preferred
variant" heuristics can apply to a specific voice instance. Therefore
I hereby present the errata of the errata:

----------------
[xxx,]*
[<specific-voice> | [<age>? <generic-voice> <number>?]]
| inherit

Comments welcome.
Regards, Daniel

[1]