Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:08:03 -0800
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2010/12/10 Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>:
> The whole point about this is, that the relation between px and meter
> is already defined before with the cited sequence. If something is
> (127/480)mm, it is precisely defined and there is no need anymore
> to choose something, it is fixed, because mm is always a precisely
> known and reproducible size - whether it is a useful unit for some
> devices or in some situations with limited information on how to
> present a mm for the user agent are a completely other questions.
> This should not be mixed up.

I suggest rereading the previous discussions on the matter.  This
subject has been gone over ad nauseum.  In short, no, you don't always
know what a mm is to any great precision.  That depends on the output

I will not respond further in this vein, though - I can't say anything
without repeating what has already been said in the relevant
discussions.  Please read the list archives on the subject before
attempting to revive any discussion surrounding this issue.