Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

On Dec 10, 2010, at 3:58 , Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

>> In the cases where there is no 'display surface' to measure on,
>
> I think, lengths are only relevant for some kind of graphical presentation,
> not for example for aural style sheets, removed anyway in CSS2.1.

No, this seems to be one of the areas where you misunderstand.  Consider, for example, projection glasses (which present an image directly to the eyes) -- there is no 'display surface' on which to measure.  In other cases, there is a display surface, but it's inappropriate to apply the measurements directly (e.g. on a billboard display a single pixel may exceed a physical inch on the display surface).

As others have indicated, please read the (extensive) threads on this subject, where this was discussed.

David Singer