Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:57:45 -0500
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 12/9/10 12:31 PM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> as far as I understand this, after the changes,
> the sections about the reference pixel are misleading.

I think you just misunderstood what the spec says.

> And because the size of a mm or cm is precisely known by measurements
> of a second and the defintion of the speed of light,

The CSS spec doesn't say that its "mm" or "cm" units are the same as
actual physical mm and cm, if you will note.  And the point is, with the
"1px is equal to 0.75pt" change they no longer are.  They're just
defined as a particular number of "px".  A "px" is still a reference
pixel in CSS.

Yes, this is somewhat odd.  But that's the way CSS is used in the real
world, it turns out.  I suggest reading the extensive discussion on this
issue that's already happened.

-Boris