Re: [css3-text] Proposal to add "text-decoration-skip: decoration-boundary"

From: KangHao Lu (Kenny) <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 05:18:42 +0900
Cc: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, Ethan Chen <chief@ethantw.net>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>

> If we go for spaces we might as well just write a CSS rule for u+u,
> which I think is cleaner. It would also be more consistent, in the
> sense that if we are going to use spaces between proper nouns we might
> as well mark all word boundaries with spaces, but that's not the usual
> way we write Chinese. (Personally I'm very disappointed that u got
> deprecated as "visual formatting", since for us it is semantic markup.
> But that'd be OT.)

If we go for spaces, I still think the way I mentioned in my original
mail is the best approach:

p { letter-spacing: 1px }

This will (future tense, the browser currently doesn't implement this
behavior but it's now speced in CSS3 Text. See test case[1]) satisfy
the requirement that I don't want to make the space between A and B
look abnormal. But I think this is a hack.

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/kennyluck/Test/letter-spacing-rendered-content