Re: [css3-text] Proposal to add "text-decoration-skip: decoration-boundary"

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:56:22 -0500
To: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Cc: "KangHao Lu (Kenny)" <kennyluck@w3.org>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, Ethan Chen <chief@ethantw.net>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
2010/12/3 John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>

> KangHao Lu (Kenny) scripsit:
>
> > The purpose is for the reader to visually tell

> > and

> > apart by leaving a very tiny space at the beginning and end of a text
> > decoration.
>
> This can be handled by inserting &#x2009; or &#x200A;, at least in non-gridded text.

If we go for spaces we might as well just write a CSS rule for u+u,
which I think is cleaner. It would also be more consistent, in the
sense that if we are going to use spaces between proper nouns we might
as well mark all word boundaries with spaces, but that's not the usual
way we write Chinese. (Personally I'm very disappointed that u got
deprecated as "visual formatting", since for us it is semantic markup.
But that'd be OT.)

--
cheers,
-ambrose