Re: [CSS21] Bidi on inline-blocks and inline-tables

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:11:38 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>
On 07/21/2010 12:54 PM, fantasai wrote:
> CSS2.1 9.10 http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#direction
>
> # In this process, non-textual entities such as images are treated as neutral
> # characters, unless their 'unicode-bidi' property has a value other than
> # 'normal', in which case they are treated as strong characters in the
> # 'direction' specified for the element.
>
> This makes sense for inline replaced elements (and should say "inline
> replaced elements" instead of "non-textual entities"), given the way they
> will behave if the replaced content fails to load and alternate text is
> shown inline instead.
>
> But inline-blocks and inline-tables are not handled in this sentence.
> I think they should be treated as neutral always.
>
> http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/tests/issues/bidi-atomic-inlines

Proposed wording changes for CSS2.1 Issue 187:
   http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-187

   # In this process, non-textual entities such as images are treated as
   # neutral characters, unless their 'unicode-bidi' property has a value
   # other than 'normal', in which case they are treated as strong
   # characters in the 'direction' specified for the element.

   s/non-textual entities/replaced elements that would generate inline
     boxes if they were non-replaced/
   s/such as images/, such as images with 'display: inline',/

   (The awkward wording being required to handle run-ins.)

   Then append:

   | All other atomic inline-level boxes are treated as neutral characters
   | always.

(The alternate behavior, to make all atomic inlines, including replaced
elements behave the same as the "non-textual entities" above, would be
simply s/non-textual entities/atomic inline-level boxes/.)

~fantasai