Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

On 08/23/2010 06:59 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 8/23/10 9:40 PM, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> Why does having the <span> there matter?
>
> Because with a float directly as the child of a block one can make the
> argument that the float is not on the first formatted line at all, and
> hence isn't affected by the first-line stuff and should continue to
> inherit directly from the block itself. This seems to be what UAs
> interoperably implement (if we ignore first-letter for the moment).
>
> The whole point of an inline parent for a float is that in that
> situation the float clearly inherits from that inline, and there is no
> argument about the inline being on the first formatted line and being
> affected by the first-line styles.

I think either the float inherits through the ::first-line chain or
it doesn't. Having it behave one way when inside a <span> and another
when not is really inconsistent. I can see arguments for both
interpretations in the spec. I can also see that Selectors 3 moves
more towards your interpretation than the other. But saying that the
float inherits through ::first-line in the one case and not the other
doesn't make sense to me.

~fantasai