Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:53:37 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/23/10 5:23 PM, fantasai wrote:
> On 08/22/2010 11:47 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> In practice, I would expect that to a first approximation authors just
>> never use first-line on blocks with floats in them. Otherwise they would
>> have been complaining about the inconsistent behavior.
>
> I'll note that
> ::first-letter { float: start; }
> is the recommended way to deal with drop caps. It would make sense here
> for the float to take the color of the ::first-line, wouldn't it?

This is not quite the same, unless there's a span around that first
letter.  In particular, floats that are not inside an element on the
first line do NOT get first-line styling in Gecko and Presto.  They do
in Webkit for the first-letter case, but not for a floated span (that
is, Webkit treats floating first-letter specially, which makes some
sense, because it's not really a float).

I don't have IE8+ on hand right this second to test.

-Boris