Re: [CSS21] Clearance error - hypothetical border edge should be actual border edge (Was: Re: [css2.1] Issue 158 and Issue 178 Resolution)

On 08/17/2010 11:35 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> My analysis in this thread until now has assumed that the hypothetical
> non-zero top border is still present when performing calculation 2 (and
> was pondered, and preferred for symmetry, in calculation 1).
>
> However, could it be the case that this hypothetical top border is no
> longer physically present (and its position no longer relevant) when we
> perform the clearance calculations?

So, if I'm understanding this all correctly (which I very well might
not), the spec changes to fix this section would be:

   # Computing the clearance of an element on which 'clear' is set is
   # done by first determining the hypothetical position of the element's
   # top border edge within its parent block. <del>This position is
   # determined after the top margin of the element has been collapsed
   # with previous adjacent margins (including the top margin of the
   # parent block).</del>  <ins>This position is the same as the where
   # the actual top border edge would have been if the element had a
   # non-zero top border and its 'clear' property had been 'none'.</ins>
   #
   # If this hypothetical position of the element's top border edge is
   # not past the relevant floats, then clearance <del>must be</del>
   # <ins>is introduced, and margins collapse according to the rules
   # in 8.3.1.
   #
   # Then the amount of clearance is</ins> set to the greater of:
   #
   #   1. The amount necessary to place the border edge of the block even
   #      with the bottom outer edge of the lowest float that is to be
   #      cleared.
   #   2. <del>The amount necessary to make the sum of the following...</del>
   #      <ins>The amount necessary to place the top border edge of the block
   #      at its hypothetical position.</ins>

~fantasai