Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:27:51 -0400
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/13/10 10:45 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> I believe that implementations are simpler if we can assign properties to the
> float before line-breaking time.

For what it's worth, Gecko's isn't.  ;)  At the very least some sort of
special-casing would have to be performed where some things inherit from
the :first-line and some other things that clearly should don't.

> I'm also concerned about whether the properties assigned to that float might
> affect whether or not it (i.e. the<float>  element) is on the first line in the
> first place

Since first-line can be styled with a different font, this problem is
already inherent to any implementation of first-line and doesn't need
floats to encounter it.

-Boris