Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:22:39 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
On 08/19/10 16:53, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Thursday, August 19, 2010, 8:08:16 PM, Behdad wrote:
>
> BE> On 08/17/10 05:12, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>> In that case, I suggest we should have a new property called "font-extend" that would take a scaling factor to be applied to the glyphs and metrics in the x-direction (or rather, along the direction of text layout, so for vertical text it would apply in the y-direction). A font-extend value of less than 1.0 would actually compress the glyphs, of course. And negative values ought to reflect the glyphs and reverse the text direction, so that <span style="font-extend: -1.0">mirror writing</span> becomes easy to express.
>
> BE> Watch out!  Mirroring text that way has bidi implications.  Mirror an RTL span
> BE> and it should be processed as LTR during bidi now.
>
> Well, no. It would look like rtl text in a mirror. With the glyphs backwards, and everything.

Not when you mix it.  Believe me.  If you have an Arabic sentence with a Latin
word in the middle, normally you have an ordering of characters like this:

  10 9 8 7 4 5 6 3 2 1

Where the '456' is the Latin word.  Now if you use a mirrored font for your
Arabic only, you get the ordering of characters this way:

  7 8 9 10 4 5 6 1 2 3

Which is wrong.  It should be:

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Because now your Arabic is read LTR, not RTL.

behdad