Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

On Friday, August 20, 2010, 12:22:39 AM, Behdad wrote:

BE> On 08/19/10 16:53, Chris Lilley wrote:

>> BE> Watch out!  Mirroring text that way has bidi implications.  Mirror an RTL span
>> BE> and it should be processed as LTR during bidi now.

>> Well, no. It would look like rtl text in a mirror. With the glyphs backwards, and everything.

BE> Not when you mix it.  Believe me.

I understand the point you are making about how bidi works. Believe me too.

(description of bidi, omitted)

But you fail to understand the point I was making.

Here is an experiment. Take a printed item, containing Latin text. Hold it to a mirror. look in the mirror. You see Latin text mirrored, with all the glyphs back to front, and progressing right to left.

Is this RTL text?

No, it is LTR text that has been mirrored. It is an optical effect. It has nothing to do with RTL or bidi text, whatsoever.

If you like, take some printed bidi text (mixed Arabic and French, for example) and hold it to a mirror.

Again, the glyphs are all mirrored, and if your mirror makes the reflection of the printed text magically re-arrange itself, I will be amazed.

Because, again, this is not turning RTL text into LTR text. It is optically mirroring (or if you like, transforming) RTL or Bidi text into mirrored RTL or Bidi text.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG