Re: [CSS21] Distinguishing block boxes, block containers, and block-level elements

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 20:19:32 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Hi fantasai,

Thanks for all your answers.  I'm fine with all of them, bar a quibble
with the following one:

fantasai wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 05:46 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> fantasai wrote:
>> 9.2 (Controlling box generation):
>>
>> # The following sections describe the types of boxes that may be
>> # generated in CSS 2.1. A box's type affects, in part, its behavior in
>> # the visual formatting model.
>>
>> Well, they don't describe list-item marker boxes or table-* boxes.
>> Indeed, although it's not really called out anywhere, an element can be
>> neither block-level nor inline-level; it can be a table-*, for example.
>> It would be a useful clarification of this section to call that out.
>
> These are covered in 9.2.4, which defers to other chapters for a
> fuller description of some items.

Well, not quite.  /Boxes/ aren't mentioned in the description of the
'table-*' display values (in contrast with all the other values).  Might
be good to get that word in somewhere.  As for list marker boxes,
though, you have already addressed this in [1].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0058.html

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net