Re: [CSS21] Issues with inline formatting model (particularly 10.8)

On 08/03/2010 04:43 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> (Bert, I've cc'd you as an editor just for process' sake for the last
>   paragraph of this message.)
>
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 08:28:16PM +0200, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> Peter Moulder wrote:
>
>>> The fix would be to talk about boxes instead of elements, and [...]
>>
>> [...] you're right in your
>> observation that this section is yet another place where "elements"
>> should be "boxes" most of the time.
>>
>> I know fantasai's got the element vs box issue in her sights ;-).  We
>> need to complete the great box cleanup (Issue #120; [5]) first
>> though, in order to have the vocabulary necessary to reformulate all
>> these sections in terms of boxes.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.  I've been wondering for the last twelve hours
> what I've missed that fantasai should write
>
>    Table-caption elements are explicitly defined to be block-level elements
>    in 17.4,  so this is already unambiguous.
>
> when I don't see any such explicit statement.

As Anton points out, this is because I'm mixing up boxes and elements.

The relevant statement is here:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#model
  # The caption boxes are block-level boxes that retain their own content,
  # padding, margin, and border areas, and are rendered as normal blocks
  # inside the anonymous box.

~fantasai