RE: [css3-background] box-shadow spread radius and rounded corners

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:38:27 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Brian Manthos" <brianman@microsoft.com>, Prabs Chawla <pchawla@microsoft.com>
From: Brad Kemper [mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com]

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> I think an example like the one above annotated with arrows may be helpful in clarifying the meaning
>> of spread radius and I can try to produce one. Most importantly, what shape is being preserved, or
>> how it is preserved ought to be clarified.

>Actually, I think that Example XXVII[1] makes it pretty clear, even without callouts and arrows and such. No?

>[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#box-shadow-samples

As long as the prose stands, no, it's not clear. That's how we got into this remember ? :) In other words, I didn't trust the rendering given what I thought the prose was saying. Simply stating that the spread radius is added to width/height on top, right, bottom and left *as well as* each border-radius would make it unambiguous. A rendering of 2-3 nested spread shadows with increasing corner radii would help in making it clear that yes, this is not supposed to be a scaling; but I do not think it is necessary once the prose defines exactly how/where the radius is applied. ('Grow in all directions' is correct but neither complete nor accurate, as we can see)