Re: Suggestion: A new text attribute to scale the size of text to follow the size of a box

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:53:09 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Gabriel Zackari <gabriel.zackari@gmail.com>
I think I would call this 'font-size: auto', where 'auto' meant that largest size possible without breaking (except where explicitly broken by, say, a <BR> or by 'white-space: pre') and without overflowing. Most of the time this would be a horizontal constraint, but a fixed height could also constrain it. It would also mean there was no difference between 'whte-space:normal' and 'white-space:nowrap', and 'text-overflow' would never kick in.

Of course, 'font-size' is inheritable, so the author would need to take care with spans and such inside such a line, and set those children to 'font-size:1em' or 'font-size:100%'.