Re: [css3-transitions] transitioning to/from auto value

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:30:22 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> 2)  Had you used 0% instead of 0,

Picky, picky.   ;)

Yeah, I shoulda. I assumed that all zeros being equal, that either
would have worked equivalently. But that is probably the start of
another thread.

> the width of the parentNode doesn't affect the computed value, and
> transitions happen on computed values. So in this case there is one
> transition, running from 0% to 50%. Whenever the width change
> happens the then-current transitioning percentage is used to
> determine the new _used_ value, but the computed value is not
> affected so the transition just keeps on going.

I see. So, if we had a new length unit, call it '%-of-auto' for now,
then I could get what I'm looking for. I could then transition between
'height: 0%-of-auto' and 'height: 100%-of-auto'. Then everything
continues to deal with computed values instead of used values, which
seems to be the most salient issue here.