Re: [css3-transitions] transitioning to/from auto value

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:07:50 -0700
Cc: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
On Apr 28, 2010, at 12:54 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>  Is the idea that all change processing needs to complete before sampling the "auto" height the transition should run to?

Wel, yeah.

>  The moment such a thing is implemented, people will start demanding that various corner cases "work correctly"

That still sounds better than having a huge number of non-edge cases broken.

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:55 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>   var div = document.getElementById("x");
>   div.style.height = "auto";
>   div.style.width = "200px";
>
> What height should the div transition to and why?  Note that in current UAs those two style changes can be processed in arbitrary order; the page can't detect the difference.

I guess I'll take your word on that, but I find it surprising. I would have thought that they would be processed in the order they were specified. Couldn't their order be forced when there is a transition involved, even if it meant a small performance loss during that style change (since the transition is likely to take more than a few milliseconds anyway)?