Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Touch enabled devices

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Agreed.  I don't think I'd ever vary my display enough to need an
> actual length value there.  As far as we know, there are only two
> precisions, that of a mouse/stylus and that of a finger.
>
> As well, a length-based variable ignores alternate input methods that
> could be usefully handled, like keyboard navigation, as Simon points
> out.

Yes, or 9-key pad, or game-controller (A, B, right, left, etc.), or voice, or accelerometer, or combinations thereof.

>  I could see offering a slightly different presentation to
> keyboard users, such as show/hiding useful anchors.

Yes, or showing different help text. Or hiding inputs that are more easily or intuitively achieved using standardized gestures or hardware buttons.