Re: [css3-mediaqueries][cssom] Empty media queries in stylesheets and the DOM

Right. I'm saying that a CSS3 draft for @media could change it.

>> Why not? Media queries are a concept and as a concept if you omit the
>> media type part it will be assumed to be all.
>
> Conceptual statements that are contradicted by the grammar and shipping
> implementations are unhelpful. (To me, at least).

They are not contradicted by the grammar. There are scenarios where you
can omit the media type. It just happens to be that in such cases you need
to have at least one media feature specified. The grammar makes the
conditions clear.

> The grammar requires a media type. These opening 'concepts' *may*
> indicate that the media type is optional but it may also be saying 'this
> is what the default media type is when you only have expressions', which
> in turns implies it's optional at least in some cases.
>
> Let's just say I'll trust you with the concept but I'm trying to
> understand what running code should do. Right now, it's unclear.

If you have suggestions for how to clarify it that would help. To me it's
perfectly clear.

>> The syntax says that if you input nothing it is treated like "not all"
>
> Does it ? It says that when all media queries that are specified are
> ignored, it is the same as not all. There is nothing explicit about what
> the media type is when no input at all is present. Hence, maybe, the
> lack of interop in
> this case?

I would like to get full interoperability here, but I think that would
require moving the MediaList API in the Media Queries specification and
make it into one model. Or alternatively provide more hooks or something
in the Media Query specification for the API, but I believe neither is
really desired by the WG as we want to move Media Queries forward.

#3 is also invalid, but needs to be done this way for backwards
compatibility.

>> We need some kind of fallback. I suppose it depends on what you expect
>> removing all media queries to do what you consider to be most logical.
>> If you prefer it to be 'all' we can do that too.
>
> I think it'd be confusing if removing all media queries through the DOM
> resulted in "not all" but setting the media attribute to "" meant "all".

I suppose. I'm open to suggestions and some help in getting it changed in
all implementations.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/