Proposal: layered CSS background (SVG, png)

From: Kristaps Karlsons <kristaps.karlsons@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:59:53 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi, list.

I have a proposal for further CSS (4?) development. I'll try to keep it
short as possible.
Please, keep in mind that (almost) no SVG background support is
available right now, so this idea would should be actualised only on
full SVG background support, or layered png support.

Lets's take a SVG file whitch has 3 groups: group1, group2, group3.

For example, we would like to show only group1 on our declared element:

..class {
background: url('/example.svg') no-repeat 0 0;
background-layer: 'group1';
}

Or, group1 and group3

..class {
background: url('/example.svg') no-repeat 0 0;
background-layer: 'group1,group3';
}

Proposed shorthand:

..class {
background: url('/example.svg', 'group1,group2') no-repeat 0 0;
}

Or multiple backgrounds with layered png (that's why I came up with
background-layer):

..class {
background: url('/example1.png', '3') no-repeat 0 0,
url('/example1.svg', 'group3') no-repeat bottom right;
}

So, basically  this idea is based on CSS sprites, just with a little
bit different approach  with advantages of layering. Attribute
background-layer should show corresponding SVG group, or png layer.

Disscussion is welcome and encouraged.

Best regards,
Kristaps Karlsons