Re: [css3-background] Curved borders intersecting backgrounds of inner boxes

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:34:29 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
On 04/12/2010 11:41 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>> I think 'background-clip' should just affect backgrounds, not other
>> things like 'overflow'. 'border-radius' affects other properties
>> because it changes the shape of the border and padding (and content)
>> edges, but only affects them in that it changes that shape.
>
> Good point. So then how do you determine the "appropriate" curve for
> border-radius overflow clipping? The CR says it is based on
> 'background-clip', but you are saying that should not affect overflow.

The CR says that *backgrounds* determine the appropriate curve to
clip to via 'background-clip'. It does not say which curve other
clip effects use: that is determined by the property doing the
clipping. In the case of 'overflow', the definition of 'overflow'
says which edge to clip to. The 'border-radius' property just
alters the shape of that edge, it does not change which edge.

~fantasai