Re: Transitions and Animation merging: problem summary

From: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:28:30 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>

On Apr 16, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> So reversing the transition makes sense. It adds to the simplicity of this simple operation. We should explore reversing transitions (but in a separate thread).
>
> Transitions are already very easily reversable. What more is there about their reversability that you would explore, beyond what is in the current draft?

Sorry, this is a detail of an issue that I thought was well known. Currently, when a transition is triggered while running (by setting a new value in the property being transitioned) an entirely new transition is started. So if you are 0.1 seconds into a 2 second transition and you set the property back to its starting value (as you would when you unhover) going back to that starting value will take 2 seconds, not 0.1 as might be desirable. So it would be useful to add reversible transitions to the spec and define the rules for when they occur. But as I said, that's a conversation for another thread.

Does that make it more clear?

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com