Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox issues

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:26:29 -0700
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Separate issue!

box-orient and box-lines appear to be part of the basic concept of
"what type of flow model is this"?  As well, it doesn't look like
they'd ever be the sort of thing you might change on a box.  You'll
set them alongside the display:box declaration as an atomic unit.
This suggests to me that these can be usefully combined together, and
just expressed in the display value.

Andrew happens to do this already, with his four values for flow,
'vertical', 'vertical-flow', 'horizontal', and 'horizontal-flow'.  I'd
probably use *-wrap for the wrapping versions, but whatever.

The only problem with this is that Flexbox has *four* values for
box-orient; two physical and two writing-mode-oriented.  Are the
latter two very important?  Are they, or something similar, used in
XUL currently?