Re: transitions vs. animations

On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> Changing opacity from 1 to something less than 1 can have very
> obvious side effects: because opacity creates stacking context,
> itcan change the layering of elements on the page.

Oh yeah. Black to rgba(0,0,0,0.999) then.

>> But that seemed more likely to illicit charges of being too-
>> hackish, which I will probably now receive anyway.
>
> It's hackish  :)
>
> I think we need to avoid a proposal that forces authors to fake a
> transition in order to get an animation effect.

It's really more of a proof that inserting an animation into a
transition, to trigger when the transition does, is a powerful way to
solve the main use cases, and can also help with other (possibly
edge-) cases in a pinch. I like that much of it more than I like
trying to twist 'animation' into double duty to fulfil the purposes of
transitions, and I like it better than adding start-, during-, and
after- into animations. I realize it isn't all that elegant in it's
present form in terms of those cases where I got hackish, but I
thought it was a start that might be further improved along the
direction it's going.