Re: Thoughts on implementing the HTML5 <details> element with pure CSS

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:07:03 +0200, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:16 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Below is "pure" CSS solution of such expanding/collapsing element.
>> CSS should have following features in order it to work :
>>
>> 1) behavior: checkbox;  - this declares the DOM element to behave as
>>      checkbox - click on the element simply switches :checked state on
>> and off
>>      on that element.
>
> During the face-to-face, I learned from Anne (assuming I understood
> correctly, which is sometimes a leap of faith) that a feature of HTML5
> is that the attribute values are live, so you can have a selector like
> this: input[type=checkbox][checked], and it would only apply when the
> checkbox was checked, and not just looking at its checked state during
> load time. I'm not sure if any UAs do this now. But, I think it means
> you can do this for the 'details' element:
>
> details[open] { /* only applies when the details box is open */ }

Maybe I was not clear enough, but this is only the case for the <details>
element. We cannot change the way form controls work with all the content
deployed. They still have the somewhat crappy distinction between
attributes and state. (Though I suppose some might consider this a
feature.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/