Re: Are CSS animations a done deal?

2010-04-05 12:32, sam skrev:
> Being able to specify styles as declaration blocks in CSS as a class and
> reference/apply them in JS via className is good (but maybe class name
> is not the right mechanism to expose declaration blocks to JS enviroment).

Let's consider what developers are going to want to do:

1. Apply animations to any kind of event. (A desire augmented by the
fact that there is no hover on the iDevices...)

2. Change animation properties, like individual rules in a key frame.
Not possible at all with the current proposal.

3. Use animations for effects that are not pure eye candy, and thus
carry some kind of information. Where is the fallback or better yet the
built in accessibility for this?

Declaring animation properties in JSON and applying the animations in
DOM-events addresses these three concerns:

1. Although no new functionality is added this way, the solution is
cleaner. At least, IMO.

2. It makes this possible. Currently it is not.

3. It integrates better with ARIA and other accessibility techniques.

That last point needs some careful evaluation, and indeed the whole
issue of animation needs some accessibility evaluation, but it seems to
be an easier path to me upon first inspection.

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/