Re: Single-line comments

On 2010/04/03 22:41, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> I don't expect developers to be able to use single-line comments
>> immediately -- they will obviously only be usable when all browsers
>> in use support them.
>
> This is different from not supporting a particular property. If using
> a comment in a style-sheet causes other rules or declarations to be
> unexpectedly (and somewhat unpredictably) dropped when parsed in
> earlier software, that is a pretty bad thing.
Well no one should use them until all browsers in use support them. If
you mark the feature as backwards-incompatible and recommended users
hold off on using it, will they still use it? (probably)

I just tested the current parsing behaviour of single-line comments in
FF, IE 6, 8, 9 (PP), Chrome, and Opera. The results were:

Comment outside rule: All browsers ignored the following rule.
Comment inside rule: All browsers ignored the following declaration.
Commented-out declaration: IE still applied the property, all other
browsers ignored it.

(I couldn't test IE 7 because IETester doesn't work properly with IE7
[at least under Windows 7 it doesn't])

So at least it's not the entire stylesheet that would be wiped out.

Oh well.