RE: [css3-multicol] floats that overflow columns

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:52:21 +0200
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > I think GCPM floats that cause column intrusions should be
 > specified differently.

 > In GCPM there is already "float:column" which hands scenarios that
 > really target multicol layout.

The switch is 'float: multicol' in the current draft [1]. I think it
could work as a trigger for intrusion; if 'multicol' is specified,
intrusion is on, otherwise not.

The only change we need to make in the CSS3 Multicol draft [2] is to
say that floats are handled the same way as other content: clipped in
the middle of the column gap.

One variation would be to honor the 'overflow' property for content
overflowing the columns, like it is honored for content overflowing
the element's box. This seems reasonable, at least for the 'visible'
and 'hidden' keywords -- less so for 'scroll'. Hmm.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#advanced-multi-column-layout
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#overflow-inside-multicol-elements

-h&kon