Re: [selectors] pseudo-element, component of section of simple selectors, simple selector

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:15:23 +0200
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>, Philip TAYLOR <chaa006@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Yes, we need a clarification here and I am guilty - loooong ago -
for that prose.
The idea behind the prose is that a pseudo-element is a special
beast for many reasons :

- first, it's allowed only _once_ and only at the end of the last
   sequence of simple selectors in a selector
- second, you can't use it when an element is required, for instance
   in the Selectors API in a querySelector() call or in an attr()
   functional notation on the right hand-side of a declaration

So the correct prose is probably that one :

   A selector is a chain of one or more sequences of simple selectors
   separated by combinators. A pseudo-element can be appended to the last
   sequence of simple selectors in a selector.

Speaking of clarification, and although that's absolutely obvious to
everyone here, we could also probably say in the prose that a sequence
of simple selectors cannot contain more than one type element selector
or universal selector (possibly ommitted).

</Daniel>