Re: [CSS-color] gamma

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jul/0229.html

Looks like it's in the last call just due to how long everything
takes. But hopefully it can removed before it goes to Candidate
Recommendation.

And for that matter, before this moves onto Candidate Recommendation,
See section 9 "Call for Implementations of dropped features."

It's unclear to me why long ago the gamma section wasn't treated the
same way as section 9 has been. The argument I read recently for
dropping these ICC features is that no developer has implemented them.
This suggests the CSS spec reflects best practices of what's already
been implemented, rather than suggesting what the best practice should
be. Yet to my knowledge no browser on Mac OS has ever implemented the
gamma section and even to this day no browser on Mac OS conforms to
this section by default.

The reading of the spec right now causes a departure in color space
between images and CSS/HTML content. Section 4.2.1 applies only to CSS/
HTML colors, not to images. And Section 4.2.1 implies color conversion
in all cases from sRGB to display space, on all platforms. Yet the
absence of a similar assumption for images, means images and CSS can
be out of sync and yet the spec is being followed. Seems like a bad
idea for color consistency.

Chris Murphy