Re: [CSS Colors] gamma

Maybe I am being dense, but why do we have this section at all?

It seems that colors should be expressed in a known color space, and
that if the output device or display has any different characteristics
(e.g. different gamma, or is CMYK because it's being printed), then
color space conversion needs to take place.

On Oct 19, 2009, at 13:58 , Chris Murphy wrote:

> Re: Editor's Draft 7 August 2008
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-color/#gamma
>
> This contains an obsolete recommendation for Mac OS: a.) which
> hasn't used QuickDraw for some time; and b.) starting with 10.6
> display TRC is defined by a gamma 2.2 function. Correction is no
> longer required.
>
> Mac using QuickDraw should be changed to Mac OS 10.5 and older, and
> the minimum handling recommendation can remain.
>
>  And a new OS class Mac OS 10.6 and newer with a minimal handling of
> "none" should be added to the list.
>

> Chris Murphy
> Color Remedies (TM)
> New York, NY
> Co-author "Real World Color Management, 2nd Ed"

David Singer
Multimedia and Software Standard, Apple Inc.