Re: [css3-text] Suggestion for text-overflow:shrink

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:48:35 -0500
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> Your menu example could be approximated by this:
>
>    .menu {
>      text-align-last: size; /* Vary the font size */
>      min-font-size: 0.6em;  /* Protect against unreadable fonts */
>      max-font-size: 1em;    /* Don't ever increase the font size */
>    }
>
> This allows the font to shrink, but not to grow.

That seems completely acceptable.  I was wanting to avoid introducing
a min/max pair of properties, but if they've already been proposed,
then I'm fine with them.  I'd like to see that value return to the
Text module if possible.

(This also answers a separate issue that I've run into before, where
I've wanted a line of text to fill a space, but the actual length of
text is slightly variable.  So ++ for solving multiple problems.)