Re: [css3-background] box-break keywords

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:32:41 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
fantasai wrote:
> Currently we have as keywords 'continuous' and 'each-box'. They're not
> very clear, and one person so far has pointed out that continuous is
> hard to spell.
> How about 'slice' and 'separate'?
>   box-break: slice;    /* Draw backgrounds and borders as if box was not
>                           broken, then slice it into pieces */
>   box-break: separate; /* Draw backgrounds and borders separately for
>                           each box: separate, then draw */

Based on the discussion at the telecon this week
I have decided to change the property syntax from
   box-break: continuous | each-box
   box-break: slice | clone

Everyone agreed that 'slice' was a clear mnemonic. I chose 'clone'
because each box gets its own copy of the background and border.
It is not 'repeat' because the background and border are not merely
repeating the result: each box gets its own complete set of border
and background bits, which are applied to the box's own size and

Since this is not a WG resolution, I am open to changing it if we
have consensus on a better proposal. But I think it's pretty good.