Re: [css3-background] possibly too late for last call, but: background-opacity?

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> First time dipping my toe in this list, and appreciate that it's
> probably far too late for last call, but...
>
> One feature I would have really loved to see is the ability to specify
> opacity for background images. I know this is technically possible by
> using formats such as PNG-24 with encoded alpha information, but I could
> envisage an actual CSS property to allow for further flexibility
> (particularly when layering multiple backgrounds, or when wanting to
> change background opacity depending on user interaction or similar).
>
> If it's already too late to suggest anything new like this, could this
> be taken into consideration for a follow-up point release perhaps?

The CSS Working Group has resolved not to add 'background-opacity'
to the CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders module. We are considering this
functionality for the future (e.g. see discussion about filters from
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0252.html>)
but it likely will not be expressed as a 'background-opacity' property.

Please let me know if this is acceptable. :)

~fantasai