Re: [CSS21] should text-decoration propagate to table-cells from table or above?

From: Řyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:52:43 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:36:39 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I propose the following text to replace the first paragraph in section
> 16.3.1 of CSS 2.1:
>
> Inline elements cause all of the boxes they generate to be affected by
> any text-decoration specified on the element or propagated from a
> non-inline parent, and further propagate these text-decorations to any
> in-flow children that are not inline-table or inline-block. All other
> elements propagate text-decorations to their in-flow children.
> Non-inline elements with inline children are considered to have an
> anonymous inline box that wraps any inline content.

There seems to be some mixing up of elements and boxes here. It's not
completely clear to me if the parent/child relationships described are
supposed to refer to the document tree or the formatting structure.

Also, what's an inline element (/"non-inline parent"/"non-inline
element"/"inline child") exactly? The term seems to be used elsewhere too,
but I only see definitions (if they can be called that) for "inline-level
element" and "inline box".

--
Řyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA