[css3-background] ‘background-size’ and SVG images

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:16:45 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello,

this comment is about
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-background-20091015/#the-background-size

Due to another discussion I tried to understand the
behaviour of background-size especially for SVG images as background images.

I could not derive the intended behaviour if the SVG image contains
information within the preserveAspectRatio attribute such as 'none' or
for example 'xMidYMid slice' (can be pretty useful for complex patterns of
finite size, for example for a Penrose pattern, obviously the intention of
the author is, to cut off parts not fitting to the aspect ratio of the
viewport instead of meeting the viewport with areas without a pattern
specified), if such an image is used in combination with background-size.
I can image, how it works without background-size, but with seems to
provide even more possibilities (and complications as well).

Does the information from preserveAspectRatio take precedence, if
available?

Olaf